Trudy Hanson Fouser
Trudy Hanson Fouser is regionally and nationally recognized as an exceptional trial lawyer. She has been lead counsel for health care facilities, businesses and professionals in more than 65 medical malpractice, employment law, and personal injury civil jury trials.
Chambers USA interviewees laud Trudy as an “excellent litigator” and praise her “ability to effectively manage litigation and achieve a successful outcome . . . along with a gifted ability to persuade and present her point of view.” Benchmark Litigation interviewees hail Trudy as “the leading female litigator in Idaho,” and say that “Trudy’s 20 years of experience in defense litigation makes her the top choice for very difficult and technical matters’ particularly in catastrophic injury claims.” Best Lawyers® named her the “Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants ‘Lawyer of the Year’” in Boise in 2021, and “Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants ‘Lawyer of the Year’” in Boise in 2015, 2019 & 2022. She is also consistently ranked as one of the top 50 women lawyers and top 100 lawyers in the Mountain States by Super Lawyers.
Trudy’s superior trial skills have resulted in her being inducted into two prominent trial organizations. She is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL) and an Associate in the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA). She is one of only 14 trial lawyers in the State of Idaho who was been inducted into ABOTA.
Trudy is also a volunteer attorney with the Idaho Volunteer Lawyers Program (IVLP)’s Soundstart program, and she helps educate low-income parents about how to prevent legal issues involving custody, paternity, child support, guardianships and other family-related matters.
Trudy was featured in the “Then and Now” article in the Super Lawyers Mountain States magazine. Please click here to read the article.
- Selected as a “Local Litigation Star” and “Labor & Employment Star” in Idaho by Benchmark Litigation
- Ranked as one of the leading litigators in Idaho by Chambers USA
- Named “Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants ‘Lawyer of the Year'” in Boise by Best Lawyers® (2021)
- Named “Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants ‘Lawyer of the Year'” in Boise by Best Lawyers® (2015, 2019, 2022)
- Honored as one of the Idaho Women of the Year, Idaho Business Review (2009)
- Martindale-Hubbell “AV” rating
- Recipient, 2009 Idaho State Bar Professionalism Award – This award is given to a few select Idaho lawyers each year and is one of the highest honors Idaho lawyers can receive during their careers. The award is an expression of respect, commendation and appreciation from the recipient’s peers.
- Kate Feltham Award, Idaho Women Lawyers (2014) – This award is given to an individual who has made extraordinary efforts to promote equal rights and opportunities for women within the legal community in Idaho.
- Exemplary Service Award, Idaho Chapter of the Federal Bar Association (2009)
- One of the top
100 lawyers in the Mountain States (Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah and
Nevada), Super Lawyers (2016-2017,
- One of the top 50 women lawyers in the Mountain States (Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah and Nevada), Super Lawyers (2008-2012, 2014-2021)
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow (2004 – Present) – Fellowship to the ACTL is by invitation only and the membership can never be more than 1% of the total lawyer population of Idaho.
- Idaho State Committee, American College of Trial Lawyers, Chair (2015-2016)
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Associate (2012 – Present) – Membership is by invitation only and a lawyer must serve as lead counsel in at least 20 civil trials that are tried to jury verdict to become an Associate of ABOTA. Only 16 lawyers in Idaho are members of this prestigious organization.
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), Member
- Federal Bar Association (FBA), Member
- Idaho State Bar, President (February – July 2016)
- Idaho State Bar, 4th District Bar Commissioner (2013 – July 2016)
- United States District & Bankruptcy Court, District of Idaho, 9th Circuit Lawyer Representative (2011 – 2013)
- Idaho Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, President (2006-2008)
- Idaho State Pro Bono Commission, Member (2008 – 2012)
- Idaho Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), Member
- Idaho Women Lawyers (IWL), Board of Directors
- Federal Defender Services of Idaho, Board of Directors (2014 – May 2019)
- CLE Co-Presenter: “Lessons from the Masters,” Idaho State Bar annual meeting (July 2021)
- Co-Author, “The Internal Appellate Alert,” The Advocate, Vol.63, Issue 9, pg. 16-19 (September 2020)
- CLE: “Holistic Trial Work: Viewing Your Case with an Eye Towards Appeal and Viewing Your Appeal with an Eye Toward Remand,” Idaho State Bar annual meeting (July 2020)
- Presentation: “Anatomy of a Medical Malpractice Case in Idaho,” University of Idaho College of Law Torts class (November 2019)
- She had the largest head circumference in her high school graduating class
- She has been on Segway tours of the streets of Boston, Washington D.C., Chicago, Seattle and Bruge
- As an Idaho native she has lived in 1A, 1B, 1O and 1L counties
- Her whistle not only brought children running home but also won several contests. (Now her husband claims that using a thumb and forefinger lessens this accomplishment but she begs to differ.)
- She happens to be very good at parallel parking
- She was the winner of the Malad High School best actress award two years in a row
- She was enrolled in baton, tap, ballet, guitar, piano and flute lessons before her mother realized her only talent was talking!
- Georgia State University, B.A. in journalism with English minor, magna cum laude. Recipient of the Outstanding Young Journalist Award presented by the Atlanta Press Association.
- University of Idaho College of Law, J.D.