Eric W. Stokes
Eric is a trial lawyer who represents businesses, governmental entities and insurance companies involved in a variety of litigation areas ranging from negligence to malpractice to whistleblower retaliation.
Eric litigates cases from inception to settlement or trial in state and federal courts. He recently tried an admitted liability personal injury case to an Idaho jury, who returned a jury verdict in favor of Eric’s client for an amount below all previous settlement offers. Eric is extremely proficient at using eDiscovery software to efficiently manage document productions and to start preparing for trial early in the discovery process by identifying potential exhibits.
Eric’s prior experience includes:
- Serving as an associate attorney at Jeffers, Danielson, Sonn & Aylward in Wenatchee, Washington. In this role, Eric prepared substantive briefing in a complex civil litigation case against the State of Washington in which a labor organization challenged an investigation into the organization by the Washington State Office of the Attorney General. He also advised employers on employment issues including wage and hour issues and discrimination claims and assisted them in drafting employee handbooks.
- Serving as a judicial extern to Judge Charles W. Johnson of the Washington State Supreme Court where he assisted with researching and drafting opinions, including doing so in support of Justice Johnson’s majority opinion in Arden v. Forsberg & Umlauf, P.S., 189 Wn.2d 315, 402 P.3d 245 (2017), which clarified issues of fiduciary duty and legal malpractice in reservation of rights insurance defense cases.
- Serving as an extern at Pierce County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office in Tacoma, Washington
- Serving as an Assistant Manager at Enterprise Rent-A-Car’s Seattle, Washington location where under his leadership the branch went from being the lowest ranked branch in the state to the highest.
Eric is admitted to practice in Idaho and Washington.
- Idaho Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), Member
- Idaho State Bar (ISB) Litigation section, Member
- Two-time winner for best costume at the Muzzball Golf Tournament at the Braun Brothers Reunion in Challis, Idaho.
- Once hit the Rainbow Road shortcut 3 out of 3 times in Mario Kart 64.
University of Montana, B.A. in Economics and Political Science
Seattle University School of Law, J.D.
CALI Awards: Contracts, Conflict of Laws
Competitions Won: ADR Mediation Competition, 2016; ADR Negotiations Competition, 2017