Emma C. Nowacki
Emma represents insurance companies involved in litigation ranging from insurance coverage to personal injury to breach of contract.
Emma is a graduate of the Idaho State Bar’s Trial Skills Academy, a two-day intensive program where participants practice all aspects of trial skills, including: voir dire, opening statements, witness examination (direct and cross), authenticating exhibits, impeachment, making objections, and closing arguments.
Emma’s prior litigation experience includes:
- Working as a senior associate attorney at Purcell & Wardrope, CHTD, a Chicago-based litigation firm, where she represented clients in complex civil suits. In this role, Emma:
- Won summary judgment in a trucking accident involving a catastrophic injury. Emma argued that her client, a cucumber supplier in Texas, was not vicariously liable for the acts of the truck driver, who had just completed delivering a load of pickles on behalf of the supplier before he ran a red light and struck the plaintiff’s car.
- Obtained dismissal of a complaint in a wrongful death products liability case by arguing that the statute of limitations had tolled and the relation-back doctrine was not applicable.
- Won at arbitration on a property damage case where it was alleged that Emma’s client negligently installed a washing machine which flooded the home 12 hours after installation. Emma’s cross-examination of the plaintiff revealed to the arbitrator that the plaintiff’s claim was fraudulent.
- Serving as a prosecutor in the Cook County (Illinois) State’s Attorney’s Office, where she tried more than 20 jury trials and 200 bench trials for both felony and misdemeanor cases in the Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence division. Emma also served as prosecutor in the Criminal Appeals Division where she wrote more than 65 appellate briefs and presented four oral arguments before the Illinois Appellate Court, First District, in cases involving murder, home invasion, criminal sexual assault and arson.
- Serving as an extern to the Honorable Virginia M. Kendall of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois where she reviewed briefs and drafted court orders.
- Serving as a volunteer attorney for the Lawyer’s Committee for Better Housing where she represented low-income tenants facing wrongful evictions.
Emma is admitted to practice in Idaho and Illinois.
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), Member
- Idaho Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), Member
- Idaho State Bar Litigation section, Member
- Idaho Women Lawyers (IWL), Member
- Emma qualified and played in the under 18 Nationals and Junior Olympics in field hockey. Her goal is to bring the sport (which is similar to ice hockey but played on grass) to Idaho!
- She won an electric guitar signed by all the members of Pearl Jam at a charity event and was convinced she could become a rock star. Although she is a decent violin player, she never quite figured out how to play the guitar. She has not given up on the dream.
- Emma explored many parts of Europe, Africa, Asia and Central America but her favorite destination was Morocco where she rode a camel.
- University of Michigan, B.A. in English and Spanish Language & Literature; Study abroad program in Salamanca, Spain
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D.