Catherine A. Freeman
Catie is a trial lawyer who represents businesses, public entities, and professionals in complex business litigation, employment, and insurance defense cases. She has experience litigating cases in state and federal courts, including the Idaho and U.S. Supreme Courts. She also assists employers in actions before the Idaho Human Rights Commission (IHRC) and U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). In addition, Catie aids attorneys in defending themselves against potential professional disciplinary actions with the Idaho State Bar. She has extensive pleading practice and has filed over 20 dispositive motions, including both motions to dismiss and motions for summary judgment (MSJ), and through the filing of these dispositive motions she was able to successfully resolve a number of cases in her clients’ favor, so they avoided trial altogether.
Catie is engaged in Idaho’s legal community and has devoted many volunteer hours to enhancing Idaho’s legal system and legal profession. She participates in a number of discussions with law students and new lawyers each year regarding lawyers’ ethical obligations to their clients.
Catie previously worked as in house counsel at a local governmental entity where she represented elected officials and their employees in employment, professional liability, tort, appeals, and other cases. In this role, she served as lead counsel on employment law matters, directed internal employment investigations and defended employment litigation, including whistleblower claims. Catie’s first‑hand public service experience makes her uniquely qualified to defend public entities.
Her appellate experience includes arguing for equal immunities between prosecutors and public defenders before the Idaho Supreme Court. In another case, Catie successfully appealed her client’s trial loss in a civil forfeiture case. The appeal resulted in a win for her clients and new law that benefited her clients in future civil forfeiture cases.
- Idaho State Bar Service Award recipient (2022)
- Accomplished Under 40 award recipient, Idaho Business Review (2022)
- Outstanding Young Lawyer in 2018, Idaho State Bar – This award recognizes young lawyers who have provided service to the profession and the community.
- American Inn of Court No. 130, Barrister & Team Captain
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), Member
- Idaho Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), Member
- Idaho State Bar (ISB) Professionalism & Ethics section, Secretary
- Idaho Women Lawyers (IWL), Member
- University of Idaho Alumni Association, Immediate Past President
Co-Author, “The Impact of Discrimination, Harassment, and Bullying on Lawyers in Idaho,” The Advocate, Vol. 64, Issue 10, pg. 30-33 (October 2021)
- CLE Co-Presenter: “Free Speech Issues for Local Governments,” Idaho Prosecuting Attorney Association Winter Conference (Jan. 2020)
- CLE Presenter: “A Guide to Social Media for the Public Employer,” Northwest Chapter American Association of Airport Executives Annual Conference (Sept. 2018)
- Panelist: “Warranties, Insurance and Indemnification,” Idaho Public Purchasing Association’s Lunch & Learn
- Panelist: “Lawyering Skills,” Idaho State Bar New Attorney Program (Spring 2015-present)
- Various employer supervisor presentations on the following topics: wage and hour for the public employer, progressive discipline and the corrective action process, Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), etc.
- Catie earned recognition as the “Most Improved” (albeit—slowest) swimmer on the Meridian Swim Team in 1998.
- In the 3rd grade, Catie gave an award-winning presentation on Walt Disney that she then had to present to the entire elementary school.
- Catie served as drum captain of her high school marching band and was the first band member to get stuck upside down after falling over her bass drum.
- University of Idaho, B.A. in English
- University of Idaho College of Law, J.D.