Frequently Asked Questions
Please click here to learn more.
Currently, Idaho is not one of the 24 states which have passed NIL specific laws. An Idaho student athlete’s ability to enter NIL deals is governed by the rules and regulations of the NCAA, the athlete’s athletic conference, and the athlete’s school, in addition to state and federal law.
GF Sports Advisors can provide NCAA student athletes:
- A comprehensive plan for maximizing the ability to profit off your name, image, and likeness.
- In depth contract oversight personalized to the student-athlete’s sport, including a flag report outlining any potential provisions that may jeopardize NCAA eligibility.
- Contract drafting, legal advice, and negotiation with businesses or third parties who present NIL opportunities.
- Act as a liaison between the student-athlete and university compliance departments.
- Provide legal representation to student-athletes who are not justly compensated under terms of a contract with businesses or third parties.
- First and foremost, GF Sports Advisors are lawyers. We know the law, and importantly, Idaho law.
- Through our extensive contract oversight service, we find issues that standardized apps or Compliance
- Departments might overlook.
- For example, we provided contract oversight for a student-athlete that was specific to the athlete’s sport and found a hidden “pay-for-play” policy. Without our services, this student athlete might have entered into an agreement that jeopardized the athlete’s eligibility.
- GF Sports Advisors works with a student athlete’s Compliance Department. A Compliance Department’s main goal is to maintain institutional control over its athletics programs to ensure that they are operating consistently with NCAA, conference, and university rules and regulations. Those same rules and regulations often dictate a student-athlete’s eligibility. GF Sports Advisors shares the goal of complying with applicable rules and regulations but with a special focus on the student-athlete’s eligibility. GF Sports Advisors always recommends that the Compliance Department remain involved and aware of any potential NIL deals.
- GF Sports Advisors goes a step further – not only ensuring that an NIL deal complies with NCAA, conference, and University rules – but also reviewing, analyzing, and negotiating contract terms to best protect the student athlete and to maximize the benefit to the student athlete. GF Sports Advisors will explain contract terms and their impact to the student athlete so that that student athlete is equipped to make the best decision for themselves.